D. Escalante, K. Aukema, L.P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2017 “Simulation of the Bottleneck Controlling Access into a Rieske Active Site: Predicting Substrates of Naphthalene 1,2-Dioxygenase” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling DOI: 10.1021/acs.jcim.6b00469.
S. Jena, J. Horn, R. Suryanarayanan, W. Friess, A. Aksan, 2017 “Effects of excipient interactions on the state of the freeze-concentrate and protein stability” Pharmaceutical Research 34, 462-478. DOI: 10.1007/s11095-016-2078-y
PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (Published, in Press, or Accepted for Publication):
- J.K. Sakkos, B.R. Mutlu, L.P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2017 "Adsorption and biodegradation of aromatic chemicals by bacteria encapsulated in a hydrophobic silica gel," ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.7b06791
- D.E. Escalante, K.G. Aukema, L.P. Wackett, and A. Aksan, 2017 "Simulation of the Bottleneck Controlling Access into a Rieske Active Site: Predicting Substrates of Naphthalene 1,2-Dioxygenase," Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jcim.6b00469
- K. Aukema, D. Escalante, M. Maltby, A. Bera, A. Aksan, L.P. Wackett, 2017 “Identification of Bioremediation Potential: Carbamazepine and Other Recalcitrant Personal Care Products” Environmental Science and Technology 51, 880–888.
- S. Jena, J. Horn, R. Suryanarayanan, W. Friess, A. Aksan, 2017 “Effects of excipient interactions on the state of the freeze-concentrate and protein stability” Pharmaceutical Research 34, 462-478.
- A.L. Prieto, L.H. Sigtermans, B.R. Mutlu, A. Aksan, W.A. Arnold, P.J. Novak, 2016 “Performance of a composite bioactive membrane for H2 production and capture from high strength wastewater”Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2, 848 - 857.
- J. J. Benson, L. P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2016 "Production of monodisperse silica gel microspheres for bioencapsulation by extrusion into an oil cross-flow," Journal of Microencapsulation, (published online 6/29), DOI: 10.1080/02652048.2016.1202346.
- B. R. Mutlu, J. K. Sakkos, S. Yeom, L. P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2016 "Silica ecosystem for synergistic biotransformation," Scientific Reports, 6, DOI: 10.1038/srep27404.
- M.J. Solivio, R. Less, M.L. Rynes, M. Kramer, A. Aksan, 2016 "Adsorbing/dissolving Lyoprotectant Matrix Technology for Non-cryogenic Storage of Archival Human Sera", Scientific Reports, 6, 24186.
- S. Jena, R. Suryanarayanan, A. Aksan, 2016 “Mutual influence of mannitol and trehalose on crystallization behavior in frozen solutions” Pharmaceutical Research, DOI:10.1007/s11095-016-1883-7.
- A. Radian, K.G. Aukema, A. Aksan, L.P. Wackett, 2015 "Silica Gel for Enhanced Activity and Hypochlorite Protection of Cyanuric Acid Hydrolase in Recombinant Escherichia coli", mBio (published online 11/3/2015).
- J.K. Sakkos, D.P. Kieffer, B.R. Mutlu, L.P. Wackett, A. Aksan 2016 "Engineering of a silica encapsulation platform for hydrocarbon degradation using Pseudomonas sp. NCIB 9816-4." Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 113: 513–521. doi:10.1002/bit.25821.
- S. Yeom, B.R. Mutlu, A. Aksan, L.P. Wackett, 2015 “Bacterial Cyanuric Acid Hydrolase for Water Treatment,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 81,6660-6668.
- A. Twomey, K. Kurata, Y. Nagare, H. Takamatsu, A. Aksan, 2015 “Microheterogeneity in Frozen Protein Solutions” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 87, 91-100.
- B.R. Mutlu, K. Hirschey, L.P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2015 “Long-Term Preservation of Silica Gel Encapsulated Bacterial Biocatalysts by Desiccation,”Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 74, 823-833.
- E. Reátegui, L. Kasinkas, K. Kniesz, M. A. Lefebvre, A. Aksan, 2014 “Silica-PEG Immobilization of Mammalian Cells,” Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2, 7440-7448.
- A. Abazari, N. Chakraborty, S. Hand, A. Aksan, M. Toner, 2014 “A Raman Microspectroscopy Study of Water and Trehalose in Spin-Dried Cells,” Biophysical Journal, 107, 2253-2262.
- B.R. Mutlu, S. Yeom, L.R. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2015 “Modelling and Optimization of a Bioremediation System Utilizing Silica Gel Encapsulated Whole-Cell Biocatalyst,” Chemical Engineering Journal, 259, 574-580.
- K.G. Akuema, L. Kasinkas, A. Aksan, L. P. Wackett, 2014 “Use of Silica-Encapsulated Pseudomonas sp Strain NCIB 9816-4 in Biodegradation of Novel Hydrocarbon Ring Structures Found in Hydraulic Fracturing Waters”, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 80, 16, 4968-4976.
- H.-W. Tong, B. R. Mutlu, L. P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2014 “Manufacturing of Bioreactive Nanofibers for Bioremediation,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 111, 8, 1483-1493
- L. C. Strong, T. Gould, L. Kasinkas, M. J. Sadowsky, A. Aksan, L. P. Wackett, 2014 “Biodegradation in Produced Waters: Chemistry, Microbiology and Engineering” Journal of Environmental Engineering, B4013001
- H.-W. Tong, B. R. Mutlu, L. P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2013 “Silica/PVA Biocatalytic Nanofibers” Materials Letters, 111, 234-237.
- B. R. Mutlu, S. Yeom, H.-W. Tong, L. P. Wackett, A. Aksan, 2013 “Silicon Alkoxide Cross-Linked Silica Nanoparticle Gels for Encapsulation of Bacterial Biocatalysts” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 1, 36, 11051 - 11060.
- A. Twomey, R. Less, K. Kurata, H. Takamatsu, A. Aksan, 2013 “In Situ Spectroscopic Quantification of Protein-Ice Interactions” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117, 26, 7889-7897.
- R. Less, K.L.M. Boylan, A.P.N. Skubitz, A. Aksan, 2013 “Isothermal Vitrification Methodology Development for Non-cryogenic Storage of Archival Human Sera” Cryobiology, 66, 176–185.
- V. Ragoonanan, R. Less, A. Aksan, 2013 “Response of the cell membrane-cytoskeleton complex to osmotic and freeze/thaw stresses Part 2: The link between the structure of the membrane-cytoskeleton complex and cellular damage” Cryobiology 66, 96–104.
- E. Reategui, E. Reynolds, L. Kasinkas, A. Aggrawal, M. Sadowsky, A. Aksan, L. Wackett, 2012 “Silica Gel Encapsulated AtzA Biocatalyst for Atrazine Biodegradation,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 96, 231-240.
- N. Chakraborty, M.A. Menze, J. Malsam, A. Aksan, S.C. Hand, M. Toner, 2011 “Cryopreservation of Spin-Dried Mammalian Cells,” PLoS One, 6, 9, e24916.
- A. Hubel, A. Aksan, A.P.N. Skubitz, C. Wendt, X. Zhong, 2011 “State of the Art in Preservation of Fluid Biospecimens, Biopreservation and Biobanking, 9, 3, 237–244.
- V. Ragoonanan, T. Wiedmann, A. Aksan, 2010 “Characterization of the Effect of NaCl and Trehalose on the Thermotropic Hysteresis of DOPC Lipids during Freeze/Thaw” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 114, 50, 16752–16758.
- V. Ragoonanan, A. Hubel, A. Aksan, 2010 “Freeze-Thaw Response of the Cell Membrane and the Cytoskeleton” Cryobiology, 61, 335-344.
- J. Dong, J. Malsam, J.C. Bischof, A. Hubel, A. Aksan, 2010 “Spatial Distribution of the State of Water in a Frozen Mammalian Cell” Biophysical Journal, 99, 8, 2453–2459.
- E. Reategui, A. Aksan, 2010, “Effects of Water on the Structure and Low/High Temperature Stability of Confined Proteins,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 12, 10161-10172.
- A. Aksan, J.J. McGrath, 2010, “Acute Recovery of Patellar Tendon from Heat-induced Shrinkage and Its Inhibition by Mild Cross-linking,” ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 132, 9, 091007.
- B. Jo, A. Aksan, 2010, “Prediction of the Extent of Thermal Damage in the Cornea during Conductive Keratoplasty,” Journal of Thermal Biology, 35, 4, 167-174.
- J. Malsam, A. Aksan, 2010, “Hydrogen Bonding Kinetics and Compartmentalization of Water in Supercooled Aqueous Acetone Solutions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 114, 12, 4238–4245.
- L. Zhang, A. Aksan, 2010, “Thermal Modification of Human Cornea Tissue by Conductive Keratoplasty,” Applied Spectroscopy, 64, 1, 23-29.
- C. Scherber, J. Schottel, A. Aksan, 2009, “Membrane Phase Behavior of Escherichia coli during Desiccation, Rehydration and Growth Recovery” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1788, 2427-2435.
- E. Reategui, A. Aksan, 2009, “Effects of the Kinetic and Thermodynamic Transitions of Confined Water on the Structures of Isolated and Cytoplasmic Proteins,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 113, 39, 13048-13060.
- A. Aksan, A. Hubel, J. Bischof, 2009, “Molecular-Level Phenomena in Biotransport” ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 131, 074004.
- E. Reategui, A. Aksan, 2009, “Structural Changes in Confined Lysozyme,” ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 131, 074520.
- J. Dong, A. Hubel, J. Bischof, A. Aksan, 2009, “Freezing-Induced Phase Separation and Spatial Microheterogeneity in Protein Solutions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 113, 30, 10081-10087.
- J. Malsam, A. Aksan, 2009, “Hydrogen Bonding Kinetics of Water in High Concentration Trehalose Solutions at Cryogenic Temperatures,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 113, 19, 6792-6799.
- A. Aksan, A. Hubel, 2008, “Biopreservation of Cells for Use in Biotechnology and Cell Therapy,” Bioprocessing Journal, 7, 4, 43-47.
- V. Ragoonanan, J. Malsam, D.R. Bond, A. Aksan, 2008, “Membrane Phase Change during Drying Determines the Viability of Geobacter sulfurreducens,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1778, 10, 2283-2290.
- A. Aksan, A. Hubel, J.C. Bischof, 2008, “The Role of Water at Multiple Scales in Biotransport,” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 111, 1076, 598-600.
- T. Stylianopoulos, A. Aksan, V. H. Barocas, 2008, “A Structural, Kinetic Model of Soft Tissue Thermomechanics,” Biophysical Journal, 94, 3, 717-725.
- V. Ragoonanan, A. Aksan, 2008, “Heterogeneity in Desiccated Solutions: Implications for Biostabilization,” Biophysical Journal, 94, 6, 2212-2227.
- V. Ragoonanan, A. Aksan, 2007, “Preservation of Proteins: A Review,” Transfusion Medicine and Hemotherapy 34, 246-252.
- M.C. Flickinger, J.L. Schottel, D.R. Bond, A. Aksan, L.E. Scriven, 2007, “Painting and Printing Living Bacteria: Engineering Nanoporous Biocatalytic Coatings to Preserve Microbial Viability and Intensify Reactivity,” Biotechnology Progress 23, 2-17.
- M.M. Norris, A. Aksan, K. Sugimachi, M. Toner, 2006, “3-O-Methyl-D-Glucose Improves Desiccation Tolerance of Keratinocytes,” Tissue Engineering, 12, 7, pp.1873-1879.
- A. Aksan, D. Irimia, X. He, M. Toner, 2006 “Vitrification of Carbohydrate Solutions in Microchannels,” Journal of Applied Physics, 99, 6, 064703.
- X-H. Liu, A. Aksan, M. A. Menze, S. C. Hand, M. Toner, 2005, “Trehalose Loading Through the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition Pore Enhances Desiccation Tolerance in Rat Liver Mitochondria,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1717, pp.21-26.
- A. Aksan, S.C. Morris, M. Toner, 2005, “Analysis of Desiccation and Vitrification Characteristics of Carbohydrate Films by Shear-Wave Resonators,” Langmuir, 21, 7, pp. 2847-2854.
- A. Aksan, J.J. McGrath, D.S. Nielubowicz, 2005, “Thermal Damage Prediction for Collagenous Tissues, Part I: A Clinically Relevant Numerical Simulation Incorporating Heating Rate Dependent Denaturation,” ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 127, pp 85-97.
- A. Aksan, M. Toner, 2004, “Isothermal Drying Kinetics and Vitrification of Trehalose-Dextran Solutions,” Langmuir, 20, 13, pp. 5521-5529.
- A. Aksan and J.J. McGrath, 2003, “Thermomechanical Analysis of Soft Tissue Thermo-therapy,” ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 125, pp.700-708.
- A. Aksan and J.J. McGrath, 2002, “Effects of Thermal Damage on the Mechanical Properties of Collagenous Tissues,” Technology and Health Care, 10, No.3-4, pp.281-283.
- S.P. Arnoczky and A. Aksan, 2000, “Thermal Modification of Connective Tissues: Basic Science Considerations and Clinical Implications,” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 8, 5, pp. 305-313.
A. Aksan, V. Ragoonanan, C. Hirschmugl, “Process-induced micro-/nanoheterogeneity in biological systems” in Biophysical Methods for Biotherapeutics: Discovery and Development Applications, 269-287 (2014), edited by T. Das, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
A. Aksan, M. Toner, “Roles of Thermodynamic State and Molecular Mobility in Biopreservation” in Biomedical Engineering Handbook: Tissue Engineering and Artificial Organs, 41.1-41.20 (2006), edited by J.D. Bonzino, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL.
S.P. Arnoczky, A. Aksan, “Thermal Modification of Connective Tissues: Basic Science Considerations and Clinical Implications,” in American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Instructional Course Lectures 50:3-11, (2001), edited by F.H. Sims, AAOS, Chicago, IL.